Saturday, February 7, 2009

Danger Will Robinson!

I need to know better than to be in the studio past my bedtime...

Tonight I crushed the foot of my large bowl. Grabbed it, without knowing my own strength, and crushed it into oblivion. Not quite that bad, but almost as catastrophic. It broke into 6 or 7 nice clean pieces. I put in the 10 minutes of effort to try and re-attach the foot pieces, and we'll see if it works. If not, I'll just have to throw another one. That's the way it goes. Sometimes bad things happen to good pots.

We'll see if the salvage operation works out. I'll keep you posted.

UPDATE: 2/8/09
Bowl lost - cracks didn't mend. Probably better this way. Even if it had mended visibly, there's a good chance that it would have cracked in firing. Which would have meant still losing the bowl, but also losing the clay involved. As it is, the whole thing is recycled and I get the clay back, with nothing lost but my time. So, I threw another big bowl. not quite as big, but still decently impressive. In other news, Krystal made it home safe and there is now balance in the universe.

No comments: